The Student Summer Research Fellowship (ETH SSRF) programme offers undergraduate and graduate students the opportunity to gain their first research experience in an area of their choice. The fellowship provided by the Computer Science Department of ETH takes place during two summer months and is open to all students worldwide. The department is committed to increasing diversity in the computer science area.
Research opportunities are available in the following areas:
- Data Management & Machine Learning
- Information & System Security
- Computer Systems
- Intelligent Interactive Systems and Physical Computing
- Programming Languages & Software Engineering
- Theory & Algorithms
- Visual Computing
The main part of the Student Summer Research Fellowship programme at ETH Zurich is devoted to doing research in one of the available areas mentioned above.
- Time frame: 1 July – 31 August. Please note that the time and duration of the fellowship is fixed to cover the full two months of July and August.
- Research experience. Fellows will pursue a research project that aligns with a chosen area of their interest as part of a research group in our department. This includes interacting and collaborating with group members.
- Networking and socialising. A number of on-site socialising events will help fellows to get to know people outside their respective research groups, including current ETH students at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Stipend. Fellows at ETH Zurich will receive a monthly allowance of about CHF 1.750 to cover housing and living expenses. Travel and visa expenses will be covered as well. Students can claim the travel costs against receipts at the beginning of the programme.
- Accommodation. Affordable housing during the research stay will be organised, once a candidate is accepted into the programme. We will also provide information regarding visa applications (where required).
- Switzerland. Fellows have the opportunity to explore the vibrant culture of Zurich in the summer as well as the beautiful mountainous landscape of Switzerland in their free time.
Eligibility. Bachelor’s and master’s students worldwide with an
expected graduation date earliest during the spring semester the year after the 2-month fellowship.
You are eligible for the ETH Student Summer Research Fellowship programme if you satisfy the following conditions:
- You are enrolled in a study programme (bachelor or master) in computer science or a closely related field (e.g., electrical engineering, mathematics, physics)
- Your expected graduation date in your current study programme (bachelor or master) is in the year following the fellowship or later
- You will have completed two years of study by start of the programme (master students naturally satisfy this condition)
- The duration of the fellowship is the full two months of July and August, during which time you must be present
The programme is conducted exclusively in English. Although formal evidence of language proficiency is not required, the fellowship requires a good working knowledge of English and it may be assessed at an interview.
Your application will be evaluated on the basis of the documents provided. The last step of the application process may include an interview conducted with the shortlisted candidates.