概要：Welcome to our research center in „Florence on the Elbe“
Each summer between July and September, the HZDR offers the possibility to join our research groups and participate in their activities.
This offer applies to international master's and diploma students in natural sciences and related areas.
Our researchers design a project plan for you, supervise, and coach you throughout the whole project. A selected range of lectures and lab tours, which introduce you into the different branches of our research center, complete the program.
With this program, we contribute to the development of scientific research at an international and interdisciplinary level. We are convinced of the synergetic effect of integrative knowledge.
Is the program suitable for you?
Our summer student program is addressed to students of natural and related sciences, who want to join our research teams in Dresden some time between July and September. Master's and diploma students from all over the world are welcome to apply. Please check the eligibility criteria.
What is the goal of the program?
Research at the HZDR has many facets, providing students with the unique opportunity of working in natural sciences (physical and life sciences) while focusing on fundamental or application driven research or technology development. Summer students will be an integral part of research groups. The tasks, which will be assigned to the summer students, will include hands-on operations in the labs to data analysis, scientific computing and theoretical science. It is a good opportunity to learn about day-to-day scientific life.
In which language is the program conducted?
English will be the language of communication at the workplace. We expect applicants to be fluent in English (spoken and written).
How long will the Summer Student program last
Students and their supervisors can agree on the period of time they will be at HZDR. The minimum length of stay is six weeks and the maximum is nine weeks. Based on previous years' experience, we recommend a stay of eight weeks. It is important that participants are present during the entire lecture period (29 July to 30 August 2024).
Who will become an HZDR summer student?
Participants will be selected based on the quality of their resume, their academic grades and the content of the letter of recommendation from a professor, group leader or scientist from their university, capable of evaluating the applicant’s performance and achievements.
The students will receive the following scientific and financial benefits:
- Scientific lectures
- Individual discussions and meetings with their supervisor
- Feedback about their overall performance at the end of the program
- Free accommodation during the whole stay
- A grant of 36,-€ per day (enough to cover everyday expenses)
- Travel insurance and bus tickets
If you are interested in applying for the summer students program, please check that you fulfill the following requirements:
- You are currently a master's or diploma student of natural sciences (physical or life sciences) or related studies.
- You should hold a bachelor's degree. In the case of diploma degree programs, you need to have a confirmation of passing the third year of studies before the upcoming summer.
- You can prove a good academic performance through your grades and a letter of recommendation written by a scientist who knows you and your work and is in the position to evaluate it.
- You must have a valid university enrollment covering the whole period of the program (student ID).
- You have good knowledge of the English language in order to take part in all activities of the program.
- Applicants already holding a master's degree but not being student of a different master's course as well as PhD students are not eligible for the program.
- Students who had a contract at HZDR one year before first of July of the targeted year are not eligible for the summer student program.