DW-Volontariat / DW Traineeship 2025
Our 18-month, bilingual journalism traineeship gets underway January 2, 2025 at our broadcasting centers in Bonn and Berlin.
The DW traineeship is one of the most prestigious journalism training programs in Germany and beyond, and gives you the skills needed to become a successful multimedia reporter and editor.
DW trainees receive a salary and gain hands-on experience in TV, online and radio with a combination of practical training blocks and newsroom placements.
Trainees also explore journalism trends of the future, ranging from digital storytelling to data journalism and virtual reality.
In addition, various journalism projects give you the chance to develop your own innovative content. Trainees also benefit from DW's close ties with Major German and international media houses.
We are looking for creative minds who reflect language and cultural diversity and who have something to say.
- acquisition of journalism skills
- seminars on all relevant journalism topics, conducted by renowned trainers
- placements with various DW editorial departments in Bonn and Berlin as well as in one of our foreign bureaus in Brussels, Washington, Jakarta, Jerusalem, Riga or Dheli.
- introduction to producing your own content for TV, radio or online formats, from generating ideas to technical production
- placements in Germany, Europe and worldwide
- technical know-how for TV, radio and online
- Trainee’s salary
- after traineeship completion, prospect of ongoing contract working for DW worldwide
- Transmission of journalistic knowledge and skills
- Seminars on all relevant journalistic topics with renowned trainers
- Insights and work in various DW editorial offices in Bonn and Berlin as well as in the
- DW field studios in Washington, Brussels, Riga, Delhi and Jakarta.
- Guidance on creating your own journalistic products for TV, radio or online, from brainstorming to technical implementation
- technical know-how in the TV, radio and the online sector
- various editorial positions in Germany, Europe and worldwide
- the secure prospect of working for DW worldwide as a journalist in a permanent position
- a performance-related salary
- inspiring and challenging tasks in a modern and international media company
- individual development
- flexible working time models
- excellent company catering
- convenient location
- Discounted tickets for the public transport system
- Wide range of company sports activities
- native speaker of one of DW's languages with excellent English and good German language skills, or native English speaker with good German language skills, or native German speaker with excellent English language skills
- completed university degree, college degree or apprenticeship
(especially with a background in technology/IT, science, politics, economics or law)
- But we are also looking for applicants from other fields, whether you are an IT specialist, lawyer, physician, mathematician, nurse, chef, pilot, football player or referee.
- initial journalistic experience
- creative mind
- social media expertise
- ability to work under deadlines and as part of a team